Education Legal Helpline for Schools and Academies : Tel: 01992 555504
- We have a dedicated legal helpline for schools to access advice on any problem to do with running the school from a lawyer. The cost of a subscription is set our below.
- Requests for advice can be made by telephone, email or fax.
- It is open from 8:45am to 5:00pm and:
- gives a 24 hour callback guarantee if your problem cannot be answered immediately
- can arrange for verbal advice to be confirmed in writing (on request)
- undertakes initial correspondence with third parties including other solicitors. Areas of advice may include parental disputes, complaints, employment issues, contractual issues, freedom of information etc.
- If the matter is not a one off piece of advice then advice can be provided on an ongoing basis which is charged out at an hourly rate
The Benefits for Schools are that:
- Schools will comply with the law
- Readily available practical advice can be given to deal with problems as they arise
- The service can be used to gain information about changes in the law which affect you
- Advice is provided by a lawyer with experience in education law and practice
- The service is highly cost effective when compared with the cost of legal services from the private sector
Purchase the Service
An annual charge for subscription to the helpline will be charged and is calculated as follows:
Charge for 2016/17
- £25 for the 1st 150 pupils
- £30 for the next 50 (i.e. 150 - 200 pupils)
- and £5 for each additional 25 pupils thereafter
The calculation will be based on the information available form the school census
Amount of Service provided for the subscription fee
- If you have 0-250 pupils then your subscription will entitle you to a maximum of 3 calls or 30 minutes (whichever you meet first) of advice before you pay at the hourly rate.
- If you have 250-500 pupils then your subscription will entitle you to a maximum of 3 calls or 45 minutes of advice (whichever you meet first) before you pay at the hourly rate.
- If you have 500-750 pupils then your subscription will entitle you to a maximum of 3 calls or 60 minutes of advice (whichever you meet first) before you pay at the hourly rate.
- If you have 750 + pupils then your then your subscription will entitle you to a maximum of 3 calls or 90 minutes of advice (whichever you meet first) before you pay at the hourly rate.
If Counsel is instructed the school or Academy will be responsible for paying Counsel's fees. Disbursements (e.g. court fees) are not included in the charges mentioned above and must be paid by the school or Academy.
Once your subscription has been used or if it appears that the work required is substantial the charge in relation to the advice provided on these matters which is not covered the Education Helpline is £90 per hour.
Please note that Academies are liable for VAT on the services that they purchase from Legal Services
In addition with regards more specific areas of law:
We have expertise in issues of Employment Law and so can provide advice in respect of the full range of work related issues in particular disciplinary matters and claims before the Employment Tribunal.
We also have the necessary expertise to provide advice on potential claims before they come to the Employment Tribunal and to negotiate Compromise Agreements. We can provide representation at Tribunal Hearings and brief Counsel when necessary.
We have an experienced Team who are able to provide advice on all aspects of Property law and to conduct a wide range of property transactions for example, sales, purchases and leasehold matters.
Our litigation solicitors are experienced in the conduct of various proceedings including Monetary Claims, Judicial Review and Possession proceedings.
This advice can be provided under your subscription to the Education Helpline but if your subscription has been used or if it appears that the work required is substantial the charge in relation to the advice provided on these matters is £90 per hour.
We have an experienced Team of Solicitors who are able to provide advice on Contractual, Litigation and Commercial Matters. The Team have been involved in a number of high profile Contract negotiations, have an expertise in providing the necessary legal support required through a Tender process and are able to provide focused and timely advice in relation to Contract Disputes.
Please note that the advice on Commercial matters are charged for separately and our fees are available on request.
Please contact Luis Andrade (Principal Solicitor) by telephone on 01992 555504 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to subscribe or have any further queries.