About the Translation and Interpreting Service
Hertfordshire County Council has joined the INTRAN Partnership framework for all translation and interpreting requirements.
INTRAN is a non-profit making partnership of public sector bodies that has been recognised by central government as a “best practice” provider of translation and interpretation services.
There are four service providers for HCC under the INTRAN partnership framework as listed below:
- Face to face spoken foreign languages – (HITS)
- Sign language and lip speaking – (CLARION)
- Telephone interpreting – (Language Line)
- Written translations – (Pearl Linguistics)
If you are currently working with interpreters or translators, or may be required to in future, you will find arrangements and criteria for accessing the translation and interpreting services on these pages.
Please note that this service is not available to assist individual students in classroom, or support curriculum related activities.
Schools will not be charged for requests made of a statutory nature provided these requests are made through the HCC T&I service electronic booking form.
- Examples of statutory requests include Special Educational Needs (SEND) related meetings, Child Protection, Educational Psychologist’s reviews
- Requests of non-statutory nature or and those booked directly with the provider will be chargeable in full to the requesting school.
- Examples of non-statutory requests include parent teacher consultations, first language assessment unless related to SEND, school educational reviews, school assemblies, drama, story telling
For further information, please contact the Translation and Interpreting Service Manager on 01438 844100.
Translation and Interpreting Service Presentation for Schools
Tips for using Hertfordshire’s Translation and Interpreting Service
Do you use Hertfordshire’s Translation and Interpreting Service - INTRAN? And are you using it as well as you can?
Following some of the tips below will assist our service providers and will help lead to a better and more efficient service for us and our service users. Better use of INTRAN services will lead to better value for money provision.
For further help and guidance go to visit the pages in this section on the Grid (Translating & Interpreting for Schools) or contact email: email@example.com
- Always try to avoid last minute bookings and always use the online booking process, including retrospectively when you have made the booking by phone. Always ensure details such as addresses are entered correctly onto booking forms
- Remember that if you do not give enough notice, there will be a cancellation fee for most services. Remember to brief your wider team on bookings and any cancellations you have made so that they can assist with enquiries when you are out of the office
- Brief the provider in advance if making them aware of equality considerations such as cultural sensitivities or service users’ additional requirements will assist them to prepare and provide a more tailored service
- Schools will not be charged for requests made of a statutory nature provided these requests are made through the Hertfordshire County Council electronic booking form, available via Solero. Examples of statutory requests include Special Educational Needs (SEND) related meetings, Child Protection and Educational Psychologists’ reviews. Requests of a non-statutory nature (include parent teacher consultations, first language assessment unless related to SEND, school educational reviews, school assemblies, drama, story telling) and those booked directly with the provider, will be chargeable in full to the requesting school.
- To track, amend or alter your booking, contact the relevant service provider directly. Contact details can be found at
- Translating & Interpreting for Schools: Contacts