School improvement services
Herts for Learning offers a full range of improvement services for schools and settings which you can find more out about on the Herts for Learning website.
Hertfordshire Improvement Partner (HIP) programme
The Hertfordshire Improvement Partner (HIP) programme is a flexible service offering a range of services, allowing schools to select the elements that are most suited to their setting.
HIPs act as a critical professional friend to the school, helping its leadership to evaluate performance, identify priorities for improvement, and plan effective change. The role is to support the building of the school’s capacity to improve the attainment and progress of all pupils, and to improve other key outcomes that have a bearing on pupils’ achievement.
Within Hertfordshire’s primary schools and academies, HIPs are one of three types. They may be consultant HIPs, which means they are experienced education professionals working through Herts for Learning, who are managed, trained and quality assured by the company. A HIP can also be a District School Effectiveness Adviser (DSEA), meaning they undertake both the role of a DSEA and HIP and are part of the centrally retained Herts for Learning primary team. Alternatively, a HIP can be a practising headteacher from a good or outstanding school or academy in Hertfordshire.
Whether a DSEA/HIP, a consultant HIP or a headteacher HIP, every HIP acts as a critical professional friend to the school, helping its leadership to evaluate performance, identify priorities for improvement and plan effective change. The role of a HIP is to support the building of the school’s capacity to improve the attainment and progress of all pupils and to improve other key outcomes that have a bearing on pupils’ achievement.
Special School HIPs support schools in evaluating their performance by acting as critical professional friends and supporting schools in building their capacity to improve. The team is made up of experienced education professionals, many of whom have themselves been headteachers of special schools. All the special school HIPs are managed, trained and quality assured by HfL.
Engaging the services of a HIP offers a number of advantages and provides:
- a flexible, bespoke programme, which can be as extensive or as focused as required
- to meet the needs of the individual school
- support and challenge – elements valued by schools and governors
- a HIP who is up to date with the latest developments in teaching and learning and to school improvement strategies
- a HIP who is rigorously quality assured and who is accountable for the quality of their work
- a HIP who, particularly where intensive support is required, can carefully coordinate deployment of a “team around the school”, drawing on the range of expertise that is available within Herts for Learning and across the wider range of schools within Hertfordshire. This includes teaching alliances, NLEs, LLEs, SLEs, and other experienced school leaders and subject specialists
Our experienced team of advisers provide support for leaders, teachers and early years practitioners in Primary schools. They work with head teachers and those in the EYFS team to offer support and constructive challenge for self evaluation through a quality assurance process, focusing on leadership, action planning and professional development.
For further information on all Herts for Learning’s school improvement consultancy and advisory services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01438 544464 or visit the HfL website: